Shrewds and Misers


There's a reason why I infinitely prefer being friends with richer people to poor people. And by "rich", I don't necessarily mean millionaires but people who've lived a relatively comfortable life. By "poor", I mean people who've grown up in harsh conditions, struggling and counting every penny to make ends meet. Most people are familiar with the whole "spoiled rich people" and the "kind-hearted pauper" stereotypes, but this hasn't been the case in my life. From my experience, richer people tend to be more magnanimous and gracious, while poor people are shrewd and calculating. Even if said "poor" person has a sizable bank account (due to their penny-pinching ways), they are poor in spirit. I've grown up with these kinds of people throughout my life and I've tolerated their miserliness until recently I realized what a disgraceful image they present to the world. It pains me to say this, but I've noticed that these xiaoqigui are mostly from mainland China. In fact, at dinner parties, most mainland Chinese couples are known to be.... less generous than Taiwanese or Hong Kong couples. Smallest dish on the table? Probably belongs to a mainlander. The first one to take back their dish? Mainlander. The one who takes the most food home? Mainlander. Some people are so unclassy.

Like recently, my parents invited this man (whom I really don't think much of) to our new house. Instead of accepting or politely declining like a normal person, he starts asking if he could invite a bunch of strangers. This isn't the first time this happened, his wife once sent a mass email inviting people to our house for what was supposed to be a private party. Of course my mother said no, and this shameless one actually acted offended and sniffed, "Haiii, but you don't have enough people. It'll be boring." Excuse me? This is our house, why the hell should we invite people we don't even know? His house is damn crappy but he wants to show off, so therefore he invites people to our house. -_-* What's more, he has uppity-attitude because he thinks we have no friends here and he's doing us a FAVOR by inviting these strangers. HAHAHAHA, if only he knew that my 'rents only grudgingly invited him out of courtesy! We have so many people and so many dinner parties, it would have been easier on us if he didn't came. Of course, he did end up coming, wife and sulking (but with a hearty appetite :D) teenager in tow.

A couple of days ago, my parents had yet another dinner party. It was a potluck for several families. One woman arrived and when my grandma greeted her, she hastily grunted, dropped her eyes to the floor, and nodded. Then she scurried (yes, scurried) to the living room. WTF? Okay, she's not a mouse nor is she a child, she should know basic manners. Is it so hard to look people in the eye and greet them properly? Some people have no social skills whatsoever. I am certainly not a social butterfly myself, but at least I make an effort to be polite and pleasant. While the other men and women were chatting, she and her husband sat stiffly in their seats by themselves. My grandma saw this and attempted to make some small talk. She gave monosyllabic answers and kept her eyes on her plate. v___v When the party neared the end, she asked my grandma for a bag and dumped the contents of a chip bowl into it. "My daughter likes these," she explained. No pleases. No thank yous. Ahhh, but this woman grew up poverty-stricken in the countryside so I can understand her actions.

This OTHER woman at the dinner party was more guofen. Throughout the party, she greedily ate the best dishes, taking HUGE pieces of meat, not at all considering the other guests who might want some as well. Okay, this by itself isn't so bad since it is a dinner party after all, and there's nothing wrong with a big appetite. I'm not against people who eat or spend a lot, but I hate people who freely help themselve's to other people's things while carefully hoarding their own (money, food, etc.). When the party was wrapping up, she immediately tucked away her own dish so the other guests couldn't take some of it home. In potlucks, it is usual for the guests to either divvy up the remaining dishes or leave it at the host's house. We had a large portion of my dad's chicken left over, and she declared that she was taking some home for her daughter (why do these people like to use children as an excuse for their greediness?). Sure, go ahead. But then she took the WHOLE chicken. Didn't even share with the other guests! Didn't bother with a thank you. And throughout the party, she kept bringing up awkward topics such as her husband's non-existant infidelity with a blonde woman who happened to fall asleep in a hammock next to his hammock. (LMFAOOO such a stupid paranoid woman XDD)
Today, a couple of days later, we ran into this woman again. And she DIDN'T EVEN GREET US. She clearly saw us and hastily tried to shuffle past us. Damn obviously trying to ignore us because we even made eye contact! My mom didn't let her off and said loudly, "Hi, (name)!". Only then she feigned (terribly) a look of surprise and exchanged a few words before leaving. Ridiculous! We only saw her a few days ago, she took the entire chicken dish, and now she doesnt even aknowledge us? What nerve, this woman. Ugh, no class at all.

I guess poor really doesn't mean the amount of money one owns. People who are poor in spirit will always be poor even if they are billionaires. I really don't believe that people who are poor in spirit can attract great wealth anyway. I just feel like these people are always trying to take advantage of me/us in some way. Their minds always seem to be along the lines of "What's the minimum contribution I can make to reap maximum benefits hehehe?". I feel sorry for their children, being instilled with this philosophy. I've seen a few children who would've been good people but are now corrupted by their parent's shrewdness. And the cycle goes on....





LOLs a funny picture to lighten up this rather heated post. XDDD

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your family friends sound... awful =/ I don't know how you can put up with this. If it was me, I'd be like "GTFO, kthnxbai."

Anonymous said...

Hi Mandy! Hm.. interesting insight, and your family friends - how rude.